Thursday, October 14, 2010

Charlie and Macie cut a goat’s legs off at the knee and put them in the slow cooker - A post by Steve



Recently, Charlie and Macie stole goats and brought them back to the apartment, where they slaughtered, skinned, and butchered them. Unfortunately, those guys are not allowed to cook, so I had to make up the goat for them. They wanted the shanks, so that’s what I made. I based my preparation off of this recipe: http://365daysfood.blogspot.com/2010/04/braised-goat-shanks.html

Here are the shanks sitting on a plate, waiting to be spiced and browned. 


And here are some carrots, onions, and celery ready to go into the pot. I would have liked to add more carrots and celery, but that was all we had at the time.




I’m sorry I lied about where the goat came from. Charlie and Macie did not kill the goat, nor did they butcher it. The goat shanks came from the farmer’s market, where they were a super-good deal at $2.25 a shank. I don’t remember the name of the farm though. Maybe I’ll figure it out on Saturday.

Here is a picture of the finished shanks. I reduced the sauce on top from the braising liquid in the slow cooker, most of which consisted of some nice homemade chicken stock. Now I need to make some more stock up.

This is a good food to eat because it has a big bone sticking out of it which you can use as a handle. However, etiquette suggests that one should use a knife and fork to remove the meat from the bone like a decent person. Look in your heart. How do you feel?




I would have liked to make up a more interesting side than boiled potatoes, but here we are. For better results, roast some turnips, rutabaga, sweet potato, carrots, onions all together and eat that up. It is Fall after all.


:)

2 comments:

Mike Dwyer said...

this is my favorite post

LinnyMay said...

The bone does make a nice handle bar.