Sunday, October 17, 2010

Introducing the I'm Hungry Monthly Competition "Rethinking Breakfast!"

RETHINKING BREAKFAST!!!



Steve and I (we'll Steve is still in bed and doesn't actually know about this) are pleased to announce the first of what will become a monthly competition - Rethinking Breakfast

I love breakfast, I love it so so so much.  It's my favorite meal of the day, and it includes my favorite foods.  I love everything breakfast, omelets, pancakes, french toast, waffles, Eggs Benedict, you name it!  The problem is, I have to get up very very very early for work and I've found that I'm just too lazy/tired to make myself get up early enough to prepare breakfast.  So now my breakfast has to consist of something I can eat on the go or prepare at work.  Here's the problem, I'm getting really tired of oatmeal and hard-boiled eggs!  Because of this I find myself turning into the dreaded drive thru far more than I'd like to admit.  Not only is fast-food extremely unhealthy, and ungreen, it's taking a major toll on my wallet! 

So my fellow foodies here is where you come in!  I want you to suggest me breakfasts.  Each month I'll post an entry along these lines asking for your suggestions.  Post all your recipe ideas in the comments of this blog entry.  I will choose recipes that I think sound delicious and that I would want to make and at the end of the month I'll pick one which I feel is the best one for my breakfast needs.  On the first Saturday or Sunday of each month (whichever day I happen to have off from work) I will post the winner and I will write up a blog post about the recipe. 

So why should you help me think up breakfasts?!  There will be prizes!  This month, the person who gives me the best Rethought Breakfast recipe will receive a copy of Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything.
 How To Cook Everything: Simple Recipes for Great Food
So you want to help a poor gal out and suggest some breakfast recipes - here are some rules and general guidelines about what i'm looking for.
  • I'd like it to be healthy - Now this doesn't mean it needs to be like 50 calories, in fact I want a high calorie breakfast (300-400 cals) because I usually have to go 5-6 hours before I can eat lunch.  
  • I don't like to eat processed foods so try to avoid those - I especially have an aversion to frozen potato products which I find in a lot of breakfast recipes. Also no fake egg products.
  • I must be able to eat it on the go or eat it at work - this doesn't mean it can't involve prep time IF i can do that prep the night before.  If I can make something up in advance and then just reheat it at work that would be best!  (I only  have a microwave at work, no toaster).  
  • In regards to the bullet above if I can make it in advance and it makes enough for multiple breakfasts that's even better.  I don't mind putting something together at night, but I don't want to spend my whole evening working on it.
  • It shouldn't be too expensive to make.
  • It must include a good source of protein - this is very very important.  
  • I don't like milk or seafood. (although i will eat milk in other things, just not on it's own).  Besides those two things I'm pretty open to eating anything (seriously anything, you should see the stuff Steve's been making me try!)
  • Only one entry per person per month - this seems like a fair way to do things.  
  • If I find that there is more than one recipe that is really awesome I may do runner up prizes.
  • If you win a prize you must skip a month before participating - again to be fair
  • If you win, you must be okay with me posting the recipe on my blog.

 :)

1 comments:

LinnyMay said...

Pickled hard boiled eggs. Yum.