Thursday, December 02, 2010

Pear Custard Pie

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving and stuffed their bellies full of delicious food.  We spent ours in Clinton, NY with Steve's family and we had lots of fun visiting with everyone especially his adorable 14 month old nephew.  We ate delicious food and even got to go home with some leftovers (which we ate that same night :).   However, one turkey just wasn't enough for Steve.  For months he's been talking about how he wanted to get a turkey from the lady we buy our meat from at the farmers market.  So we put ourselves on the list and got a 12lb heritage bronze grass-fed and organic turkey. 

 Now a 12lb turkey probably pales in comparison to many of the turkeys that graced the tables of Thanksgiving eaters this year, but for two people it's still A LOT of turkey.  Plus you can't just make turkey, you have to make sides, and desserts!  So we invited people over and had a delicious second thanksgiving.  Besides the turkey our menu included garlic mashed potatoes, roasted cauliflower and Brussels sprouts, sausage and cranberry stuffing, rolls, pear and Gorgonzola salad, and for dessert a pear custard pie and a delicious chocolate dome thing that Melissa brought. 


As much as I wanted to document and blog the whole feast, it didn't happen.  I did manage to snap a few pictures of the Pear Custard Pie I made which is another recipe from my Simply in Season cookbook.



This pie was pretty good.  I have a hard time with custardy things cause I can never figure out when they've set, but I think this turned out okay.  I definetly wished I had had better pears though, these just weren't ripe enough. 


The recipe also didn't have any spices in it so I consulted my handy dandy Flavor Bible and decided to add some ground cloves and cinnamon.  Ground ginger and nutmeg would also be acceptable spices to add.

  
Pear Custard Pie
Ingredients:
  • 9 inch unbaked pastry shell (check out the recipe I use here)
  • 4-5 cups peeled and sliced pears
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • various spices - ground cloves, nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon etc.
Preheat oven to 450.

Peel and slice your pears and then throw them into your pie crust.

In a bowl mix together all the other ingredients and then pour over the pears.

Bake for 10 minutes then reduce the heat to 350 and bake until set, roughly 30 minutes.  Mine took longer though.

It really can't get much easier than that! 



Enjoy!

:)

1 comments:

Melissa said...

I ate this. And it was AMAZING!