Sunday, June 07, 2009

Asparagus Risotto

I love risotto, especially from this one BBQ joint in Maine. For some reason I just assumed that there was no way I could make risotto at home that would taste as good as that. I don't know why I thought this as I've never even tried to make it before. So going through the cookbooks trying to plan our meals I came across asparagus risotto. Well I love asparagus and I love risotto, so why not.

Turns out it was amazing. I really wanted to just eat the entire pot. Just as good as the restaurant risotto! However, it is kind of a pain to make because you have to sit and stir it constantly and with that cooking and pork in the oven it was very toasty standing there. I will definitely make this again though. Recipe comes from our box of Mediterranean Cooking Recipe Cards

Asparagus Risotto

Ingredients:

  • 1 lbs fresh asparagus
  • 3 tbsp butter, melted
  • 1/2 onion - sliced
  • 1 1/2 short grained rice
  • 6 cups chicken stock
  • 6 tablespoons grated Parmesan























First cut the asparagus up and throw them in a sauce pan with water. Cook for about five minutes drain and set aside.



















Melt the butter in a big skillet over medium heat. Add the onion an let brown.























Meanwhile in a sauce pan heat up your chicken broth so it's at a nice simmer.

Add the rice and half the asparagus pieces to the onion pan. Then stirring constantly add the broth one ladle full at a time. Stir until it's all absorbed and then add the next ladle full.



















Keep doing this until you have used all of the broth. It takes a while.

Once all the broth is used up, stir in 2 tablespoons butter and the Parmesan . Mix well and add the rest of the asparagus.



















We had it with some pork. Very tasty!!




0 comments: