Sunday, February 28, 2010

Lemon Custard Cakes

Like most weekend mornings I started my day off today scrolling through all the delicious food on tastespotting.com. Usually it makes me really hungry and I end up bookmarking a ton of recipes that I'll probably never get around to actually making. However, I came across this recipe for Lemon Custard Cakes at Cathie Cooks Food and decided it seemed simple enough that I could whip it up tonight for a tasty dessert.

I basically followed the recipe on the blog except that I added lemon extract to give it an extra super lemon flavor. I also only have four ramekins so I had to adjust for that. I would make these again, especially due to the simplicity and ease of this recipe.

Lemon Custard Cakes

Ingredients:

  • 3 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 tablespoon all purpose flour
  • 2-3 tablespoons grated lemon zest ( try not to zest your fingers )
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 1 cup milk ( I used whole milk)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • Lemon Extract (optional, but it will make sure that lemon flavor really stands out)
Start your oven preheating at 350 degrees and get your ramekins ready. Spray them down (or butter them) with oil and place them in a cake pan. Also get some water boiling to pour into the pan later.

First you need to separate your eggs, make sure to keep both the eggs and the whites.



In a bowl mix your egg yolks and sugar.


Add in the flour.



Zest your lemon, then add your zest and lemon juice to the bowl.


Finally whisk in your milk.



In a separate bowl mix your egg whites and salt together with and electric mixer until you get soft peaks.


Carefully fold your egg whites into your egg yolk mixture. Pour the mixture into your ramekins and then fill your pan half way up the sides of the ramekins with boiling water.




Put them in the oven and let them cook until the tops are golden brown. For my four ramekins I cooked them for 25 minutes.


Enjoy :)

2 comments:

Gastronomic said...

I'm so glad you're posting again! Now hopefully we'll get around to it someday...

The custard cakes look great-- the photos are beautiful!

LinnyMay said...

These little buggers look SO much better than the lemoncakefromabox that I made the other day. Like the new blog design:)