Thursday, February 10, 2011

Gingerbread Cake

Every time I go to a bookstore I plead with Steve to let me buy the latest issue of Cooks Illustrated, but at 6 bucks a pop it's a pricey magazine and usually I get "SIGH if you must" and so with a heavy hand I return the magazine to the rack.  Last week though I was having none of that when I saw that the February edition had entries on chili, pizza, spanakopita, and keys to perfect cookies.


It also featured an article on gingerbread cake, but it was something I had glanced over.  I'm of the school of thought that gingerbread is a Christmas good, not something to be made in February, the month of chocolate chocolate chocolate and so had Steve not said something about it I never would have given it a chance.


Now Steve is not a sweet loving kind of guy, 99% of the time he'll take savory over sweet, but he begged me to make the gingerbread cake and I'm not one to say no to dessert even if it is out of place.  And so I woke up this morning and made the most. amazing. gingerbread cake. EVER.


The gingerbread is jam packed with spice, ginger, cinnamon, even black pepper, and they come together to create a wonderful mouth full of fluffy delicious cake.


I strongly urge everyone to check out the issue of Cook's Illustrated because they give a great explanation of how they got to the final recipe and it's really interesting.

:)

0 comments: