Saturday, March 28, 2009

Mummas Meat Loaf

Tonight I decided to make up my mom's tasty meatloaf and some little sweet potatoes we found at the farmers market. We also had a little left over Swiss Chard that I needed to use up so that became our appetizer.


Swiss Chard & Garlic


Ingredients:















-Swiss Chard
-2tbsp Olive Oil
-Garlic

Heat up oil in pan on medium high. Throw in minced garlic.














While that's heating up cut up your swiss chard. You want to just cut the stalks off. Throw these in the pan and cook about 5 minutes on each side til brown and crispy.














Eat!














Things I learned: You do not need 2tbsp of olive oil. This is how much I used and maybe it was because I only used a couple of leaves, but they ended up a little oily (and more caloric than I would have liked). Next time if I cook the same amount I will probably use less oil and add more garlic, cause I love garlic :).

Meat Loaf


This is my moms famous meatloaf. (The only difference is I substituted ground beef for ground turkey to be a little more healthy)

Ingredients:














-1lbs ground turkey
-1 cup bread crumbs
-1 small onion
-1/2 green pepper
-Ketchup
-Garlic

Preheat your oven to 350 (Throw in your sweet potatoes if you are making those since they take longer to cook)

Cut up your onion and green pepper and mince your garlic.














In your mixing bowl mix the meat and bread crumbs together. My mom didn't give me measurements so I went with a cup of bread crumbs and it seemed to be a good amount.














Add the egg and mix that in. The easiest way to mix this stuff is to just stick your hands in it and have at it.














Add the garlic, pepper, onion, and some ketchup (about 1 tbsp) and mix. Throw that in a greased loaf pan.














Add some more ketchup on top.














Throw that in the oven for about 40 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees.
Enjoy!!





























Things I learned: Next time I will use more than one pound of turkey, again no measurements so I just kind of went with it. I think 2lbs would probably make a full loaf pan. Also I think next time I will line the pan in foil and make a little handle. It was difficult to get the meatloaf out without destroying it or having it upside down. Also I will maybe add some spices, like some basil or rosemary.

Nutrition: Swiss Chard
Calories:
161
Carbs:
9g
Fat:
14g
Protein
: 4g

Nutrition: Meatloaf (1 slice, a pan makes 6 slices)
Calories: 203.5
Carbs
: 16.4g
Fat:
7.1g
Protein:
18.3g

Nutrition: Sweet Potato w/ 1tsp brown sugar

Calories
: 71
Carbs: 16g
Fat: 0g

Protein:
1g

1 comments:

LinnyMay said...

Umm yum:/

I prefer meatloaf made with burger as all the grease and stuff is what makes it so tasty.

I think if I had to work with something like ground turkey, I'd not go with a 'meatloaf', but maybe some kind of salad in which you can add some strong flavored veggies.

~Mumma