Thursday, March 19, 2009

Spring = ASPARAGUS




















Asparagus is one of the best vegetables ever! Not only is it insanely tasty and versatile, it's super healthy for you. Check it out ( and this website that Lizz showed me!) at whfoods.org.
While I was browsing around on this website I came across something they call Healthy Sauteing. Basically cook up your food without using oil or butter, instead you use chicken broth, so that's what I tried tonight!


Chicken Asparagus Stir Fry:
Ingredients

  • 3 Chicken Breasts
  • 1 small onion
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 bunch asparagus (fresh from the farmers market, yay!)
  • some ginger
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp rice vinegar
  • 4 tbsp chicken broth
First I find it easier if you just cut everything up and put it in little prep dishes that way once you have stuff on the stove you're not running around trying to chop stuff etc. So cut up everything.
-A neat trick about peeling ginger that I saw on some PBS cooking show: Peel it with a spoon. Just scrape a spoon over the skin and voila.
-You can also mince or chop your garlic. I do both because minced is nice to mix into the other foods for flavor and such, but i also like to eat garlic so I like some bigger pieces in there.

Once everything is all chopped up put your broth in a pan and throw in the garlic and onion. Cook for a few minutes (about 3) til done. Add the chicken and ginger and cook until chicken is done. Then add the rest of your ingredients and cover.
Cook for about 5ish more minutes or until your asparagus is cooked to your liking!
This would be yummy served over some brown rice (which i actually made but i forgot to start it til the food was almost done...oops)

Speaking of rice I would like to take this moment to suggest that everyone go buy a rice cooker...there, life = easier.


Hooray a tasty healthy meal super fast.
(I have to eat good today cause I have a whopper of a dessert planned for Saturday :))

Nutrition Chicken Asparagus Stir Fry (1 serving = 6.6oz):
Calories: 231.4

Fat: 2.5g

Protein: 43.6g (!)
Carbs: 6.8g

Nutrition Brown Rice (1 cup):
Calories: 218.4
Fat: 1.6g
Protein: 4.5g

Carbs: 45.8g

0 comments: