Sunday, March 29, 2009

Pumpkin Cupcakes w/ Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting

Okay, so these are definitely not healthy, which is why I made them for Steve to take away to a group thing. Thus I only ended up eating 1. The Cupcake recipe comes from Martha Stewart.com and the frosting is from the internet.


Pumpkin Cupcakes Ingredients:













  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg ( i was out of this and the allspice so I left them out)
  • 1/4 tsp allspice
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup butter (melted)
  • 4 eggs beaten
  • 1 can (15oz) pumpkin puree
Preheat the oven to 350 and grease your cupcake pan or stick the little liners in it.














In a bowl mix together flower, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice.














Now the recipe says to mix the other stuff in a different bowl and then to add this mixture into it. I was out of clean bowls so this is what I do (Also saves you dish washing time). Make a well in the dry mixture so push all the dry ingredients out of the middle.

In center of dry ingredients add sugars, butter, and eggs. Whisk them together then stir in the dry ingredients.














Add the pumpkin and mix well.














I used my hand mixer just to make it nice and smooth.














Fill cupcake holders about 1/2 full and stick in the oven for 20-25 minutes.














Let cool completely before frosting.
















Cream Cheese Cinnamon Frosting Ingredients:













  • 8 oz cream cheese - room temperature
  • 1/4 cup butter - room temperature
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp cinnamon (I used about 2 tsp. I found 1 tsp didn't really hold it's own against the cream cheese flavor)
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
Cream together butter and cream cheese.














Again a hand mixer comes in well, or if you are lucky you have a stand mixer (and I am very jealous of you).














Add vanilla and cinnamon














Add powdered sugar

Now I wanted to make them look pretty so I went and bought a frosting tip and a thing. They were 99 cents are Micheal's. Then I made up my own pastry bag...Thanks Alton Brown!

Put tip on top of white thing (called a coupler I think).

Take a zip lock bag and cut a small hole in one corner.

Push tip through hole from inside the bag

Put the white screw on part around the tip on the outside of the bag to hold it together.














Put frosting in bag and have at it.















This will get very messy, my bag ripped so I had to make a new one. Maybe freezer bags would hold up better, I was using sandwich bags.

Enjoy!














Nutrition 1 cupcake with cream cheese frosting (recipe makes 24):
Calories: 279.8
Carbs: 37g
Fat: 13.9g
Protein: 3.1g

0 comments: